Assam Accord Implementation Minister Atul Bora on Wednesday stated that more 1.70 lakh illegal foreigners have been detected in Assam so far under provisions of the Assam Accord in the past four decades, adding that around 31,000 have been pushed back.
Bora, replying to a query by Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) MLA Ramendra Narayan Kalita in the Assam Assembly detailed the progress made under the 1985 agreement, which was signed on August 15 following a six-year long movement against illegal Bangladeshis.
Atul Bora stated that 1,37,152 illegal immigrants who entered the state post-1971 till December 31, 2025, have been identified and declared foreigners. Additionally, 33,485 individuals who arrived between 1966 and 1971 have been identified and declared as foreigners.
As per provisions of the Accord, those who entered the state between 1966 and 1971 are eligible for Indian citizenship, while those arriving on or after March 25, 1971, would be detected and deported, with their names removed from the electoral rolls, with steps taken to deport them.
Providing details of deportation measures, the minister said, “From 1985 to March 12, 2013, 29,663 illegal foreigners were sent back to their country through ‘Push Back’ process. Between March 13, 2013, and January 31, 2026, a total of 468 were sent back through the ‘Deportation’ process, of whom 458 were convicted foreigners and 10 declared foreigners.”
Also Read: Gaurav Gogoi targets Bhupen Borah over switch to BJP; alleges internal information leaks
He further informed that 1,421 illegal foreigners were ‘Sent Back’ as per directives issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs between February 1, 2025, and January 31, 2026.
Additionally, 51 declared foreigners and one new illegal immigrant were expelled from the country under the Immigrants (Expulsion from Assam) Act, 1950, between December 20, 2025, and January 31, 2026.
Further, on border infrastructure, Atul Bora said Assam shares 267.5 km of boundary with Bangladesh in Dhubri, Soulth Salmara-Mankachar, Cachar and Sribhumi districts. Of this, barbed wire fencing has been completed along 228.541 km. a 4.35 km stretch in Sribhumi remains unfenced due to objections by the Border Guard Bangladesh. The remaining portion comprises riverine stretches, monitored by Border Security Force (BSF), through a Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System.
On the implementation of recommendations made by the Justice (retd) Biplab Sharma Committee on Clause 6 of the Assam Accord, Bora said the report had been received by the State government on behalf of the Centre, which constituted the panel.











