Kathmandu: A wave of anger and grief has swept through Nepal’s media community on Saturday after the tragic death of Avenues TV journalist Suresh Rajak, who was allegedly burned alive during a violent pro-monarchy protest in Tinkune, Kathmandu.
Journalists from across the city gathered at Maitighar Mandala to stage a mass protest, demanding justice and accountability for the heinous act.
Eyewitnesses, including Kantipur Television journalist Ramkrishna Bhandari, have described the chaotic scenes during the protest.
Bhandari recounted how media personnel were specifically targeted, with protesters threatening violence and setting fire to property.
“They were saying that we will also attack the media, we will set fire, we will not spare you,” he said, recalling the destruction of office equipment and the escalation that ultimately led to Rajak’s death.
In response to the unrest, the curfew imposed in the Baneshwar-Tinkune area and surrounding neighbourhoods was lifted on Saturday as tensions began to ease.
As of now, 51 individuals, mostly prominent pro-monarchy protest leaders, including senior vice-chairman of the Rastriya Prajatantra Party Rabindra Mishra, General Secretary Dhawal Sumsher Rana, and others, have been arrested for allegedly inciting violence, according to local media reports.
Nepalese authorities have ramped up arrests following the violent pro-monarchy demonstrations that took place in Tinkune on Friday.
The protests led to deaths, widespread vandalism, and arson.
“With the violence, arson, and killings on Friday, public support for royalists has sharply declined. We anticipate further divisions within pro-Hindu and pro-monarchy groups as a result of Friday’s violence. From now on, we will take all necessary steps to contain their activities,” a senior official from Nepal’s Home Ministry told The Kathmandu Post.
The curfew had been initially imposed by local authorities on Friday after clashes broke out between security forces and pro-monarchy protesters, resulting in two deaths and 45 injuries.
ALSO READ: Meghalaya: HDFC Bank’s 25th branch inaugurated in Tura
The protesters were demanding the restoration of the abolished monarchy in Nepal.
Tensions escalated in Tinkune when demonstrators attempted to breach security barricades. In response, security forces fired tear gas to disperse the crowd, and later, police opened fire to control the situation, according to Nepali news outlet Annapurna Express.
Footage from social media showed protesters seizing police firearms and launching violent attacks.
Reports indicated that the protests were organized by the Nawaraj Subedi-led joint movement committee, with businessman Durga Prasai playing a key role in mobilising supporters.