Kohima: As the 26th edition of the 10-day Hornbill Festival approaches on December 1, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has once again written to Union Home Minister Amit Shah, urging immediate approval of Protected Area Permit (PAP) applications for international delegates.
He also renewed the state’s long-standing demand for the complete removal of the PAP regime.
The PAP is a mandatory travel document for foreigners visiting certain sensitive or protected areas in India.
Rio had earlier written to Shah on November 18 on the same issue, making this his second letter on the matter this month.
In his letter on Friday, Rio said the Hornbill Festival—coinciding with State Commemoration Day—is a major cultural event that attracts thousands of visitors and significantly drives Nagaland’s economy through tourism, employment and allied services.
This year’s festival will welcome representatives from six Partner Countries who are slated to join cultural presentations, business roundtables and networking events. Despite all preparations being completed, the chief minister said PAP clearances for the foreign delegates are still pending with the Ministry of Home Affairs, causing “serious concern” with only days remaining.
Rio urged the Union Home Minister to give the matter his “immediate and personal attention” to expedite the issuance of permits. He once again called for the removal of the PAP regime, noting that despite earlier assurances, the requirement continues to restrict tourist inflow and impact the state’s image.
ALSO READ: Nagaland launches helicopter service to boost tourism at Hornbill Festival
Highlighting Nagaland’s long-standing association with the NDA and its governance under the PDA coalition, Rio said that removing PAP restrictions would boost tourism, facilitate travel, and further strengthen the state’s integration with the rest of the country.













