Mumbai Police have escalated the probe into the extortion threat made against actor Ranveer Singh by issuing a Look Out Circular (LOC) against Harichandra alias “Harry Boxer,” who is suspected to be linked to the Lawrence Bishnoi gang. Investigators believe he played a key role in issuing a ransom threat to the Bollywood star.
According to reports, a threatening WhatsApp voice note was received on the phone of Singh’s manager. In the audio message, the caller allegedly introduced himself as Harry Boxer and demanded Rs. 20 crore in ransom.
Police officials said the message was routed through a Virtual Private Network (VPN), a method commonly used to mask digital location and identity.
The audio clip has been forwarded to forensic and technical teams in Punjab and Haryana for detailed analysis and verification.
As part of the investigation, the statement of Ranveer Singh’s manager has also been formally recorded.
Sources in the police department revealed that similar intimidation attempts were also made against actor Aayush Sharma, raising suspicions of a wider intimidation campaign linked to the Bishnoi gang targeting high-profile film personalities.
These developments come in the backdrop of the January 31, 2024 firing incident outside the Juhu residence of filmmaker Rohit Shetty.
Investigators believe the extortion threats and the shooting may be part of a coordinated effort to create fear within the film industry.
The Bishnoi gang had earlier claimed responsibility for the firing through a social media post.
On February 17, five accused arrested in the Rohit Shetty firing case were produced before the MCOCA court after their initial police custody ended.
The court extended their remand till February 23. The accused — Aditya Gaikki, Siddharth Yenpure, Samarth Pomaji, Swapnil Sakat and Asaram Fasale — were arrested from Pune.
During the hearing, Swapnil Sakat alleged that his statement had been forcibly obtained and that he was compelled to sign documents.
ALSO READ: Meghalaya names 15-member squad for BCCI U-23 Women’s One Day Trophy
Investigators have identified four individuals as directly involved in the firing incident: Deepak Sharma, Sunny, Sonu, and another suspect who is currently absconding.
Deepak Sharma is alleged to have fired the shots, while the others were reportedly in the vicinity.
Police sources said Sonu, who had been living in Kalyan for nearly two years, recently returned to his native village in Agra and was allegedly involved in arms supply and coordination with other accused.
So far, 12 people have been arrested in connection with the Rohit Shetty residence firing case, including the main shooter Deepak Sharma.
The investigation is being led by the Anti-Extortion Cell of the Mumbai Crime Branch, and stringent provisions of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) have been invoked. Further investigations are ongoing.













