Security agencies have foiled a major terror conspiracy in the national capital, arresting eight suspects allegedly involved in a plot coordinated by handlers linked to Pakistan’s intelligence agency and Bangladesh-based extremist groups, police sources said on Sunday.
Of the eight arrested, six were detained from different locations across Tamil Nadu and are being brought to Delhi for detailed interrogation.
Officials said that some of the suspects are believed to be Bangladeshi nationals.
Two other individuals had earlier been taken into custody in follow-up operations connected to the same case.
The arrests come amid heightened security following an alert issued by central intelligence agencies on Saturday, warning of a possible terror strike near the Red Fort.
The alert was based on inputs indicating that the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba had placed prominent religious and public sites in India on its target list.
Sources said the crackdown was triggered by specific intelligence about a covert module allegedly planning subversive activities across multiple parts of the country.
During searches, police recovered several mobile phones and SIM cards, which are now being analysed to map the network’s communication channels and possible foreign links.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the group was in contact with handlers connected to Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and certain extremist organisations operating out of Bangladesh.
ALSO READ: Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah joins BJP ahead of Assembly polls
Central security and intelligence agencies are assisting the Delhi Police in the ongoing probe, the report said.
Intelligence inputs have also suggested that the terror module was exploring the possibility of carrying out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack.
Sources said the alleged plan may be linked to attempts by Lashkar-e-Taiba to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan.
The fresh alert and arrests come against the backdrop of the deadly car bomb explosion near the Red Fort area on November 10, 2025, when a vehicle packed with explosives detonated close to Gate No. 1 of the Red Fort metro station, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 20 others, triggering widespread panic in the densely populated areas.
Security has since been intensified across sensitive locations in Delhi, with agencies maintaining high alert as investigations into the wider terror network continue.













