Guwahati: The Assam Jatiya Parishad (AJP) on Friday launched a sharp attack on the BJP-led Assam government, accusing it of lacking sincerity in delivering justice in the death of popular artiste Zubeen Garg and deliberately delaying the legal process.
Addressing a press conference at the party headquarters, AJP president Lurinjyoti Gogoi questioned the prolonged delay in setting up a fast-track court, despite repeated assurances by the government.
He alleged that the case was being dragged on with “date after date,” reducing the proceedings to a routine trial rather than an expedited process promised to the public.
Gogoi traced the sequence of official actions following Garg’s death on September 19, 2025.
He said the artiste’s mortal remains was brought to Guwahati on September 21 and his last rites were held at Sonapur on September 23.
An SIT probe was announced on September 20 and constituted on September 24, followed by the formation of a judicial inquiry commission headed by a retired judge on October 3.
On November 3, the Chief Minister publicly stated that Garg had been murdered. Seven accused were arrested in early October, and the SIT filed its chargesheet on December 12, 2025 — the same day the Chief Minister announced that a fast-track court would be established to ensure a speedy trial.
However, Gogoi pointed out that more than two months have passed since that announcement, with no fast-track court in place.
He said the trial formally began on December 22, 2025, with the accused appearing virtually, and several hearings have already taken place, but without a special court, the case is proceeding at a normal pace.
Citing legal opinions, he claimed that with around 400 witnesses likely to be examined and cross-examined, the trial could stretch up to two decades if it continues at the current speed.
The AJP also criticised what it described as a lack of political engagement with the case.
Gogoi said neither the Prime Minister nor the Union Home Minister referred to Zubeen Garg during their visits to Assam after his death, nor did they visit his memorial site.
He further alleged that the Chief Minister has not visited the site since the last rites and did not attend screenings of Garg’s final film.
Raising questions over the conduct of the accused, Gogoi said it was “mysterious” that bail petitions were filed and later withdrawn, claiming there is public suspicion that the move may have been part of an understanding to avoid political embarrassment.
The party also highlighted issues related to memorial construction.
While thanking BTC chief Hagrama Mohilary for reportedly allotting land in Kokrajhar for a memorial, the AJP alleged that the state government has failed to provide land for a memorial at Sonapur.
AJP general secretary Jagadish Bhuyan accused the government of lacking seriousness from the very beginning of the investigation.
ALSO READ: Extortion threat to Ranveer Singh: Look Out Circular issued against ‘Harry Boxer’
He questioned why the case was handed over to the state CID instead of a national agency, especially since the incident allegedly occurred outside the country.
Bhuyan also claimed that not all individuals present during the incident were arrested, casting doubts on the completeness of the probe.
He further expressed apprehension that the government might announce a fast-track court close to elections merely to create an impression of action, without ensuring that the trial is actually concluded.
Bhuyan warned that prolonged delays could ultimately allow the accused to walk free, effectively closing the case without accountability.
Demanding urgent action, the AJP said that if the government has any moral responsibility, it must ensure the guilt of the accused is established in court and punishment is secured before the elections.
The party announced that it will hold a sit-in protest on February 27, demanding justice for Zubeen Garg.
Party secretaries Chittaranjan Basumatary, Raju Phukan, Ziaur Rahman and Manik Gogoi were also present at the press conference.













