Aizawl: The Mizoram government has proposed official-level talks with Assam in mid-April on the long-standing border dispute.
Mizoram Home Secretary Vanlalmawia stated that a letter has been sent to Assam for the fourth time, requesting official-level talks prior to the scheduled ministerial-level discussions in Guwahati.
“Mizoram is awaiting a response from Assam. The official-level deliberations have been proposed to prepare and finalise the groundwork and modalities for the subsequent ministerial-level talks,” Vanlalmawia said.
The home secretary stated that during the ministerial-level talks held in Aizawl on August 9 last year, it was proposed that official-level talks be held at least three times before the fifth round of ministerial-level discussion.
“After the ministerial-level talks in August last year, we have so far sent four letters to Assam with the last being sent recently proposing to hold official-level talks in Guwahati in mid-April before the ministerial-level dialogue. We are waiting for a reply from Assam,” he said.
ALSO READ: Mizoram government reshuffles portfolios of seven ministers
He said Assam government’s proposal for official-level talks in the third week of March was declined by Mizoram due to their assembly session and the scheduled visit of Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
The three districts of Mizoram— Aizawl, Kolasib and Mamit—share a 164.6 km long border with Assam’s Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi districts.